To my friends,
I don’t know about you, but sometimes I find that taking temporary refuge in the absurd keeps me centered. For example, there have been plenty of unusual things to celebrate this month–
- September 3rd–National Skyscraper Day. But suppose you’re afraid of heights?
- September 4th–Eat an Extra Dessert Day. Oh yeah!
- September 6th–National Fight Procrastination Day. Now they tell me! It’s September 24th.
- September 8th–National Grandparents Day. Now that I am one, why limit it to one day? Heck, I’m all for celebrating for a full year.
- September 10th–TV Dinner Day. No comment.
- September 15th–National Felt Hat Day. Sure beats wearing Kevlar.
- September 16th–National Stay Away from Seattle Day. No one tans up there. They rust.
- September 18th–Rice Krispies Treats Day. A whole day!!!!!
- September 19th–Talk Like a Pirate Day. Aarrrggghh!
- September 21st–World Gratitude Day. Amen, brother.
- September 21st–Oktoberfest. Even in Utah!
- September 24th–National Punctuation Day. A teacher’s dream come true.
- September 27th–Hug a Vegetarian Day. Hey, they need love too.
- September 28th–Drink Beer Day. Oktoberfest is now in full swing.
- September 28th–Museum Day. A day for reflection.
OK, I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a curmudgeon. Nevertheless, there is so much to celebrate–especially if we go off the beaten path. Think of it. What wonderfully weird holidays will we be celebrating next month? Halloween will be the icing on the cake.
All the best,